Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Robert E Fuller: Rare Footage of Weasels Moving their Kits in my Back ga...

Since the weasel's kits were born she has moved them at least three times. She literally picks up each of the seven kits and carries them one by one to a new nest. This week I managed to capture her on film as she did this.


It's fascinating to see her pick each one up, firmly, and take it to the entrance and then move them again from there. At one point she drops one!

The nests can get very dirty with seven kits in there, along with the leftovers of mice that she brings in to feed them, and the bluebottles! So she tends to move them every 10 days. It is also a safety measure.

I hope you enjoy watching this fascinating footage as much as I did filming it! I think it is very rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment