Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Otter Search

I've been trying to get a decent picture of an otter recently for an idea I have for a painting. Otter numbers have increased considerably along the Derwent River in recent years and, after a tip off from a fisherman friend of mine, I have been scouring the banks looking for signs of their presence. It didn't take me long to find this log which had been caught up in willow branches. A log like this is an irresistible stopping-off point for an otter.

A closer look at the log showed me what I was looking for. It is well worn, with no moss along the top and at the back a pile of otter spraints.


Otters leave these spraints, literally piles of poo, to mark their territory and warn other otters that this patch of the river is theirs.
Now that I had found the spot all I had to do was wait for an otter to appear. I set up my camera, and also a remote controlled camera which I left out all night for several days.
Watch this space to find out what I saw.


No comments:

Post a Comment