Thursday, May 14, 2015

Yay! Mrs Kestrel has laid her 5th egg

After an epic battle with a barn owl for possession of a nest box, the kestrel pair I have been watching moved off to a nearby nest box I fashioned out of an old elm stump and laid there instead.



The female has now laid a full clutch - five eggs - and is now sitting nicely. What a season it's been. Having 12 nestcams trained on nesting sites in the garden has made such a difference to how I watch wildlife. 
I can now see what happens when the birds and animals disappear from my sight. I've learned so much about their lives.
My findings have inspired a new collection of paintings which I will be showing at an exhibition celebrating the wonder of wildlife at my gallery in North Yorkshire next month.
Here is a sneak preview of some of the pieces I still have to finish off: 



No comments:

Post a Comment